Subject: RE: [Leica] Digital back for Leica lenses
From: "Austin Franklin" <darkroom@ix.netcom.com>
Date: Wed, 20 Nov 2002 09:49:46 -0500

> > Wouldn't it be nice to have a new format based on a chip the size of
> APS
> > system with interchangeable lenses?
>
> No.  The images would not be near as good as a ones from a larger
> (physically) CCD.  Also, that will not necessarily improve with time.
>
> What are some of the limitations?

Hi Sam,

The noise increases (both between the sensor elements, and within a single
sensor element) with smaller sensor element geometry/spacing.

Optically, a physically smaller CCD array, with the same sensor count as a
larger one, requires higher resolution lenses than the physically larger CCD
array would.

Physical size/weight can effect the images as well.  For long shutter speeds
you are better off with a heavier camera, which is why the M camera does
well in low light situations.

If all you want is small images, like 4x6, yes, an APS sized sensor will
give you some decent results...but as this is a Leica group, my guess is you
must want more quality than that offers ;-)

Austin