Subject: Re: [Leica] Swimming!
From: "Phong"<phongdoan@mindspring.com>
Date: Thu, 21 Nov 2002 16:56:44 -0500

Hi Dan,

Surprised to see color photos from you.  I just met you and already have
formed all sort of (mis)conceptions.  Anyway, your photos don't look boring;
the 3rd one is quite humorous; I suppose an MIT swimmer may look like that.
Did he make it ?  LOL. The look on the guy's face in th2 2nd shot makes it
interesting. The other shots maybe standard, but you can still work on them. I
may try playing with different light patterns, making sure I at least get a
decent shot from the shadow side, less I will hear from Ted Grant again, and
again, and again :-)  If I was bored covering a swim meet, I might try a very
wide angle at the edge of the pool as a swimmer approaches, or got up to the
diving board and shoot down, oh I don;t know.  Be creative my man.  Maybe
something can
be done with those black goggles.  Maybe catch a pattern at the starting line.

As an exercise in creativity, Freeman Patterson would have each of his
students in a bathroom for 20 minutes and come up with interesting shots.  Or
just shooting chicken eggs.  Maybe someone on this list will start group
exercises like that.  Or maybe you're burnt out and should put the camera away
and go to the museum.  Or shoot something entirely different without any
intention to get a "keeper".  The other day I took my kids to see the new
Harry Potter movie and had a ball shooting the movie screen at ISO 1600 with a
50mm 1.4 lens.  It's narrower then the movie screen, so I still had to frame
and time my shots.

Speaking of swim photography,  B.D. did have a very nice wide angle shot of a
national champion swimmer in his diabetics (? I hope I got this right) series.
 Nothing is new under the sun; for 4 thousand years, there are men and they
have thought of it all.  I didn't say that first.

Congratulations on the IIIa.

Cheers,

- - Phong