Subject: [Leica] Re: OT: Winter outdoors clothing for photography
From: "Eric" <ericm@pobox.com>
Date: Thu, 21 Nov 2002 18:33:23 -0600

Phong:

>I just realize how woefully ill-prepared I am to deal with the outdoors in the
>wintertime at this latitude (Boston), and would greatly appreciate tips and
>advices on winter clothing, and other photographic matters.  Something that is
>also relatively inconspicuous in a cosmopolitan, urban setting.  In
>particluar, I would appreciate specifics for a parka/3-quarter coat.

Keep your feet warm and dry.

Keep your head warm and dry.

Keep your hands warm and dry.

Keep your body dry.

Unless you're going to be outside for prolonged periods of time, I wouldn't
recommend a parka.  Boston isn't that cold.  Like others, I get through most
winters with a lined leather jacket.  (In Minneapolis the past umpteen
years.  Now in tropical South Dakota.  :)  When it gets really cold ( -20F
real temp...not wind chill), then I'll break out my parka.

Glove liners + thin leather gloves lined with cashmere are my favorite photo
accessory in the winter.  For most takes, my fingers are still nimble enough
that I don't need to take off the gloves.  (The gloves by themselves are
fine down to 10 F or so.)  For changing film, take off the gloves and leave
the liners on to protect your bare skin from the wind.  With the extra
liners, my fingers are happy as long as I can stand to be out.

Can't repeat the hat part too much.  Keep your ears warm and toasty, and
extended trips outside are a joy.

Unless you're going to be rolling around through snow, I don't see any
advantage to the parka or anything fancy.  Or unless you're going to be
jogging and profusely sweating and need something to wick moisture away from
your body.

Eric