Subject: [Leica] Life at 400, 560 and 800mm
From: Edward Caliguri <caliguri@rcn.com>
Date: Sat, 07 Dec 2002 13:15:01 -0500

Hi!
Love the long lens talk -- as a wildlife shooter (who spends much too much
time indoors of late) I've had a lot of long glass - now it's just the Leica
- - The Modular System Telyts (two heads, three focus units) and the 280
f/4.0...UNTIL ... I saw what Doug Herr can do with the 400 6.8 and it's 560
counterpart. That changed my way of shooting, honestly, I picked up a used,
boxed, never used really, 400 and 560 6.8's and I can say one thing for
sure. Others laugh at me when they see me using this 'old man's lens', as
they sit and machine gun roll after roll behind their AF, stabilized
whatevers, but this 2-element one group 400 is a marvel. I just got the
'stock' to with it, and now it enables me to stalk animals, sneak up on
them, stay hidden (best I can) and adds a whole new dimension of fun and
excitement. The lenses are VERY sharp, especially in the center - they are
apo quality. Read Doug's reviews. I won't sell off the conventional glass,
but ounce for ounce, you will not find a quicker focusing, sharper lens for
the money - yes, it's slow, but it added a whole new meaning to 'hunting
with a camera' for me. Moose Peterson can "Walk softly and carry a big lens"
if he wants, but I bet he's never tried to walk softly and carry THIS lens.
He'd be better for it!
EC