Subject: [Leica] re: [LEICA] lens suggestions for IIIF
From: Howard Sanner <flagstad@mindspring.com>
Date: Thu, 12 Dec 2002 21:47:35 -0500

	Of the 50mm lenses, the Elmar is the most compact when
collapsed. It is also a good performer. I have an uncoated 1937
version that does quite well and is less prone to flare than you
might think, probably because there isn't much glass in an Elmar.

	IMHO, your other choice is the Summicron. It is a faster,
sharper, contrastier, heavier, bigger lens. It will also be
harder to find and more expensive than an Elmar. "Bigger"
definitely means it sticks out farther from the front of the
camera when collapsed.

	I didn't like the one Summitar I had. The Summar is pretty
universally reviled. Mine's actually extremely sharp, but it also
flares very easily, *much* more so than the Elmar, probably
because there's a lot more glass in it. Though I like it for some
things, I wouldn't want it to be my main or only 50mm lens.

						Howard Sanner
						flagstad@mindspring.com