Subject: Re: [Leica] (Leica) Is this a good price?
From: Rolfe Tessem <rolfe@ldp.com>
Date: Mon, 30 Dec 2002 19:38:41 -0500

- --On Tuesday, December 31, 2002 9:47 AM +1100 Alastair Firkin
<firkin@ncable.net.au> wrote:

>> --On Monday, December 30, 2002 3:38 PM -0500 Frank Farmer
>> <frankandaubrey@mindspring.com> wrote:
>>
>>> Yes, but B&H gives you a US warranty in exchange for their price
>>> increases (if that is important to you).  However, I don't know if there
>>> is actually any diffence between the US and International warranties on
>>> the polarizing filter though. Considering the frequency with which I've
>>> had to use my Passport Warranty (once for the M6TTL, once for the 3E,
>>> and now once (though non-passport) for my SF-20 - grrrrrrrr), it is
>>> something to think about.
>>
>> Pretty hard for a filter to malfuntion in any case...
>
> wrong, some have reported loosening of the filter element: details
> unknown to me thankfully, mine is fine so far.

Alistair,

I believe that with things like filters there is no real difference between
a U.S. warranty and the International warranty (i.e. no such thing as a
Possport type warranty as for cameras and lenses). If I'm wrong about this,
I'm sure somebody will correct me instantly :-).

I realize you're in Australia, but I think the original poster's concern
was whether it was worth the discount to purchase this item gray market in
the U.S., where there is a substantial difference in price between items
purchased via the Leica USA import channel versus a gray market distributor
such as Delta International, which is completely legitimate and offers
returns, good customer service, etc.

Everyone has their own threshold on this, but my own is that for new
bodies, I'll pay the premium for a USA Passport. For lenses I've gone both
ways, and for accessories such as the polarizing filter, I see no real
downside in going gray market. It all depends on how likely you think it is
that you'll actually have a warranty claim and what that claim is
potentially worth.

Regards,

Rolfe

- --