Subject: Re: [Leica] If anyone has any suggestions, I would be very interested. I know people do use this scanner in OS-X, so it can be done. I'm wondering if I need to install VueScan.
From: Rolfe Tessem <rolfe@ldp.com>
Date: Fri, 27 Dec 2002 10:38:58 -0500

- --On Friday, December 27, 2002 8:28 AM -0500 Keith Johnson
<kvj@gammanine.com> wrote:

>     If you would like to operate your scanner without any issues, first
> uninstall all the software for the scanner in OSX. Then Boot into 9.2, do
> not try to run in classic. Install the programs you need to run in 9.2,
> and do your imaging work there. Do your self a favor and get a copy of
> pshop 6 or 7  instead of elements. Vuescan is ok, but slow,  and not
> needed. Even in Jaguar, scanners are having big issues, and imho the best
> path is the one of least resistance. I have done  a fair amount of work
> in both OS's using many different scanners and printers. Until OSX gets
> some more support from the mfg's of periferals, I find 9.2 best for
> imaging. Of course someone will answer to this and report that they have
> no problems at all and that I am not using the machine to its greatest
> potential, but the fact is that 90 percent of the people on the planet
> blessed with new Mac's have problems with OSX.

Well, that is certainly one perspective. Here's mine:

OSX is the best workstation OS I've ever used, and I've used just about
everything out there since the dawn of computing time.

I am running Photoshop 7.01 using a Nikon 4000 scanner and Epson 1640SU
flatbed, both of which are supported natively under OSX. Even the latest
version of Nikon Scan runs natively under OSX, although I prefer Vuescan
for the superior scans it delivers, even at the cost of a clunkier
interface. FWIW, I also find Vuescan faster than Nikon Scan, probably
because you can choose several degrees of infrared cleaning, aka "Digital
Ice". With Nikon Scan, it is either on or off.

As is probably obvious from this discussion, YMMV. For the record, I'm
running OSX 10.2.3, but never had any problem with the earlier versions
(10.1 and later) either.

- --
Rolfe Tessem
rolfe@ldp.com
Lucky Duck Productions, Inc.

In reply to: Message from Keith Johnson <kvj@gammanine.com> ([Leica] If anyone has any suggestions, I would be very interested. I know people do use this scanner in OS-X, so it can be done. I'm wondering if I need to install VueScan.)