Subject: Re: [Leica] Lots of Off Camera TTL Flash Questions
From: Rolfe Tessem <rolfe@ldp.com>
Date: Sun, 05 Jan 2003 15:49:07 -0500

Greg J. Lorenzo wrote:

> I would like to acquire a second and possibly third TTL flash for use
> with my R8 and/or R6.2. After doing some research of the LUG archives
> want I think I require is a Nikon SU-4 Wireless Slave Controller, a
> second Metz Flash with a Nikon Metz SCA 3402 Module to act as a TTL Slave.

There are only three types of flash that will work TTL with the R8 --
the SF20, the Metz units with the 3501 or 3502 SCA adapter, and the
Quantum T2 with the Quantum Leica SCA adapter. Of these, I believe only
the Quantum is designed to be used in TTL master/slave fashion and then
only with another Quantum T2.

So, I think you could do this with two Quantum T2s along with two or
three Quantum Freewire radio slave units. They are designed to transmit
TTL information. I doubt that any of the Nikon stuff you mention would
work, but I certainly haven't tried it either.

Personally, I think when working with multiple units that using auto
mode or just metering the scene manually is easier than jumping through
the hoops needed to make TTL work. With auto mode, there is a sensor for
each flash unit but in TTL, there is only one sensor (the one behind the
lens). It is not smart enough to do anything but shut off the flash or
flashes when the proper exposure has hit the film plane.

Rolfe

- --
Rolfe Tessem      |     Lucky Duck Productions, Inc.
rolfe@ldp.com     |     96 Morton Street
(212) 463-0029    |     New York, Ny 10014