Subject: Re: [Leica] Re: Daniel's Daring!
From: Daniel Ridings <daniel.ridings@muspro.uio.no>
Date: Tue, 31 Dec 2002 10:24:07 +0100 (MET)

Paul,

Many thanks. Alastair is right, some of these have been out before, but
I've never put all of them together as a series before. What was new for
me was going out with them here in Sweden on the "photopage"
(fotosidan.se) where a broad spectrum of people have access rather than
just a collection of fill-in-the-blank members of the LUG
(fill-in-the-blank = "jaded"?, "cantankerous", ...). I would expect to be
raked over the coals here, but on fotosidan.se ... it just very well could
be my neighbor.

Funny about how people rank the pictures. There are some other funny
things too.

I put the pictures up one at a time with a few days between them. In the
beginning, the men were making comments like "Ata boy, keep it up, ..."
you know, the regular macho stuff.

But as the postings continued, and they realized that this was going to be
a series and it was going somewhere ... they clammed up. Froze shut.

BUT ... that's when the women picked up the thread. Same thing in Norway
and Sweden (I posted simultaneously in Norway). The men backed off and the
women chimed in.

Anyway, the women tend to favour Nr 1, possibly Nr 2. I myself can say
that I used to prefer Nr 2 (and that has been shown here before), but it
all depends. Nr 2 reflects the atmosphere, Nr 1 focuses on the person.
(And it wasn't a "model", so the image captures a reflection of the
photographer in the subject).

Anyway, it's all a part of what some one described as "the condition of
man". Ok, just a small-fish in a big ocean, but part we don't mention that
often.

> Give us more!!!!!
> <paul>

Sorry! Not on my to-do list. This was experimentation. I doubt that I
could ever do better so this part of my career retires until I think I can
do better :)

Thanks again Paul. The series has had over a thousand lookers ... and they
don't just look at the first one and say "what trash" and back off. They
look at all of them, one by one ... but few comments.

Sun's out ... I'm not going to be in front of the keyboard much longer.

Daniel