Subject: Re: [Leica] Digital Longevity
From: "David Rodgers" <daverodgers@lightcurves.com>
Date: Mon, 6 Jan 2003 11:21:23 -0800

Ernie,

>>...I was tired of the horrible one hour mini-lab 4 x5 prints i was getting back.  So a year ago i stopped getting batch prints but take my C41 to a "pro-lab" for negative only for $3 processing and then on the light table select those which are worthy of scanning.<<

When I bought my first Coolscan in 1998 I stopped having prints made. All my color neg was develop only. I batch scanned everything at low res. Recently I've gone back to having prints made.

I tried a half dozen labs before I found a good one. Good in the sense they work with me. It's just a small shop that does mostly one hour type stuff. The key has been that I talk with the techs nearly every time I drop off or pick up film about all things print related; papers, films, processes, even digital! It's been very educational, on both sides. Plus, they give me great pricing.

The "pro" labs I tried weren't interested in working with me. Even back when I shot weedings and seniors and went thorugh 20 rolls a weekend I didn't have a good relationship with the pro lab I used. I'm lucky to go through 5 rolls of color neg a month, these days. But I get better service and the results are great. But you're right that many labs make scanning being a better option.

- --
DaveR
www.lightcurves.com