Subject: Re: [Leica] Why fashion photography sucks
From: "Emanuel Lowi" <mano@proxyma.net>
Date: Mon, 06 Jan 2003 17:16:18 -0500

I too find the whole fashion and fashion photo business highly offensive. Its
practitioners are the most potent arm of the marketing of overpriced useless trinkets
(something none of us Leica users know anything about, eh -- we whose expenditures
stem from our totally rational needs).

While there are still millions of children in this world who own no shoes, the idea
of the expense and trouble expended to get folks over here to spend a thousand
dollars on some piece of cut and stitched flimsy material is utterly sickening. Call
me a bleeding heart. Make my day.

A recent TV documentary here told the story of some teenage boy from rural prairie
Canada who was pursuing a career as a runway model. What was depicted sure looked
like a ridiculous life, and something I would not want my children involved with.

However, I have no hesitation is saying that the best fashion photogs are conceptual
geniuses, masters of lighting and form. They would deserve major kudos, if only
they'd use their talents for good, not evil. ;-)

Emanuel

Replies: Reply from "animal" <s.jessurun95@chello.nl> (Re: [Leica] Why fashion photography sucks)