Subject: Re: [Leica] Portra B & W Film
From: "Barney Quinn" <Barney.Quinn@noaa.gov>
Date: Tue, 07 Jan 2003 13:41:02 -0500

David,

I shoot a lot of both Portra and T400CN. They are both c-41 processed "b&w"
films. You can print either on color or b&w paper.  When you print them on
color paper Portra has the ability to come a lot closer to a "real" black and
white image than T400CN, which usually ends up with a bit of a color cast. I
often do this on purpose to get what look like old-fashioned seipa toned
prints. I love the look. Others hate it.

Having said all that for a lab to get Portra to look like B&W on color paper
they have to have a machine which has been calibrated for it. If they don't
then the results are, to some extent, going to look funky. I've had real good
luck with a local custom lab, but YMMV. There is no "right answer" here. The
issue is that the lab doing the work has to know how to make the choice they
are using work. If they don't then things are going to look strange.

Barney