Subject: [Leica] Re: OT Epson 2200 for B/W. What's the verdict?
From: "firkin" <firkin@balhpl01.ncable.net.au>
Date: Mon, 13 Jan 2003 14:05:59 +1100

Don Dory writes:

> Alastair, the reason companies are moving digital printing to photographic
> paper is twofold.
> First, the money to be made by Kodak, Fuji, et al is in selling paper and
> chemistry.  Also, process, control, and longevity are well known variables.
> The only hard part was designing the three color lasers needed to expose the
> paper.
>
> The second reason is that very few companies are willing to spend the R&D to
> create a whole new system to accomplish the same thing, printing images.  On
> the smaller scale only Epson was willing to drive the ink jet market from a
> poor persons business printer to the industry standard for independent
> photographers.  This took what, five or so years from the first Photo Stylus
> printer?
>
> Ever since the SciTech machines almost everyone has known that manipulating
> visual information in the digital realm provided far more control.  Also,
> once manipulated, you can generate infinite exact copies easily.  Of course,
> imagine "Moonrise over Hernandez" printed a billion times and that thought
> is not entirely pleasant.

Don, you are probably correct, though why these companies would want to back
a looser, and spend money to produce digital "enlargers" is beyond me. Like
a lot of things, I guess we will all have to wait and see if the beta or VHS
format wins out: best system does not always equal success.

Cheers

Alastair Firkin @ work ;-)

http://www.afirkin.com
http://www.familyofman2.com