Subject: Re: [Leica] Tri Elmar Repair
From: Michael Cahill <mcahill@laurelgroup.com>
Date: Mon, 20 Jan 2003 12:55:12 -0500

On 1/20/03 11:22 AM, "Kit McChesney | Acmefoto" <kitmc@acmefoto.com> wrote:

> Mike--
>
> I'm not saying that Leica won't honor the warranties. I think I've been
> misunderstood. I'm saying that if you have a non-US warranty, the piece will
> be sent to Germany for repairs. That's all. And you're not paying extra for
> a U.S. warranty. It's part of the price of the lens. The Passport Warranty
> is the warranty on U.S. products.
>
> I'm a licensed dealer. I never recommend buying gray market because you
> don't know what you're getting. And you're not getting a U.S. warranty,
> which most folks prize quite a bit!
>
> Kit

Kit-

On most products I'd agree.  Still, the whole concept of paying additional
to assure domestic repair on a VERY expensive piece of equipment because you
bought it overseas is absolutely goofy.  The lens was purchased at
Foto-Hobby Rahn in Frankfurt,  reportedly EU's largest Leica dealer, not
"gray" market at all.

This is all moot as far as the Tri-Elmar goes, gray market, black market,
stolen.....whatever, it has to be repaired in Germany.  Leica NJ does not
repair this lens.  My point is that if anyone is planning to buy a 3E call
Deltainternational, HKSupplies or any other "gray" market dealer and save
$500+ over what B+H is charging.  I'm talking $525 here (B+H vs HKSupplies),
not a couple of hundred bucks.  BTW, as a registered dealer, why aren't you
and the other dealers ranting at Leica over this issue?  You, as a dealer,
lose business to the gray market all the time.

I love the camera, even if the company that makes it needs a kick in the
ass.  I guess, to paraphrase B.D., I don't worship at the altar of Solms
either :-)

Take care,

Mike
Michael Cahill