Subject: Re: [Leica] Got my SF-20 flash...
From: Mark Rabiner <mark@rabinergroup.com>
Date: Wed, 22 Jan 2003 04:58:58 -0800

Austin Franklin wrote:

> Along with my M Motor, I received my SF-20.  Operationally, it seems very
> nice...in fact, I was surprised it actually gets the ASA from the camera!
>
> Two "complaints".  One, it's built like a toy.  Could they have made it any
> flimsier?  Second is the screw around the flash shoe...WHAT WERE THEY
> THINKING?  They want me to crank that down onto the top deck of the camera
> and mar up the top deck?  Were their "engineers" drinking heavily when they
> "designed" this thing?  I mean, operationally, the flash is great...but the
> mechanicals of this thing are just really terrible.
>
> Thanks for people's recommendations, though it's a vertical flash, I think
> because of it's small size and operational ability I can live with it...
>
> Austin
>
> --

Austin I don't agree with lots of what you're saying here first of all
though it appears you are not aware that the flash is a Metz flash which
Leica badge engineered. Metz flashes are built like tanks and have a
good reputation (hence Leica subbing with them in the first place; they
could have put their name on a Vivitar 283 but it just would somehow now
have gone over)

Second of all my experience with the flash having bought one for my X
wife a few years back if you recall is that it is well built and
designed and most importantly: works. Slide after slide of Kodachrome 64
and 200 perfectly exposed. This was with a TTL camera. The sensor I cant
speak for.

My problem with it is it's basic design shape. I think of that design
sticking up like that as an amateur design and I'm going to be a little
embarrassed using it. I like professionally designed low slung flashes
like Metz is best in designing and making. The war of the world shape
not the V 283 shape. Still I'm going to get one for it's size, weight
and general efficiency it's at least a hundred bucks over priced but it
says "Leica" on it and works with the cameras.

Makes one less intimidated about venturing but with slower film.  Plus I
like flash pictures. Love the feeling of shooting with an effective
shutter speed of 1/200,000 of a second or some such astronomical number
and getting it all at f11. (That would be with fast film with this
flash). Check out those individual eyelashes!

The proof will be in the pudding, Austin whether this flash ends up
working for you or not. I suspect on the long run it will.

Mark Rabiner
Portland, Oregon USA
Photography

Web Sight: http://www.rabinergroup.com