Subject: Re: [Leica] OT: how to do somethingin Photoshop
From: Johnny Deadman <lists@johnbrownlow.com>
Date: Thu, 23 Jan 2003 06:21:21 -0500

various ways to do this but here's the simplest

draw a lasso around the area around which you want to burn in

1.	choose select--> inverse (now you have selected everything but the
center)

2.	choose select-->feather selection and dial in a radius, try 250
pixels and work down if that's too gentle. (This makes the edge of the
selection a gradient rather than a hard line)

3.	choose image-->adjustments-->curves. Make a point right in the
middle of the curve and move it up or down. You'll see the edge of the
frame darken and lighten. You can now dial in however much tonal
adjustment you want. You could also use image-->adjustments--> levels
and move the centre gray slider left or right but I prefer to work with
curves.

variations on this

In step (2) repeat the 'feather' step to achieve even gentler gradients.

In step (3) use layer-->add adjustment layer-->curves to add a masked
adjustment layer which you can alter later (this is how I would do it,
but you have to be in 8-bit mode as you can't add layers to 16-bit
images).

hope this helps