Subject: Re: [Leica] Online Photo Story:
From: Martin Howard <mvhoward@mac.com>
Date: Sat, 1 Feb 2003 01:18:09 -0800

David Degner wrote:

> After a late night of tinkering I exit my cave with a rock to throw at
> the world.

(OK, last message before I really *must* go to bed!)

I saw the photos, read the captions, and to me, they seemed to show a
man who was disjointed with his surroundings.  A man who is separated
from his new surroundings because his culture, his memories, and his
experiences are different from this new place in which he finds
himself.  This is how I saw the story unfold:

1: The reflection in the window with the flag establishes location --
but his expression and his turning away from the person in the dark
coat hint at the uneasiness that lies beneath the surface.

2: The separation (laterally and size-wise) between Edin and the rest
of his family again hints at this disconnect.

3: Surrounded by an abundance of consumer goods -- a culture shock,
perhaps?  So many things, so many toys.  A look of slight bewilderment,
"should I get this one I'm holding, or that one on the shelf?"

4: Beliefs and customs from the old country still alive.  Quite
different from the beliefs and customs of the country they now find
themselves in.

Given these readings, the next two pictures didn't seem to fit into the
story that you appeared to be telling.  The fifth picture could be read
as "Settling into a new daily routine", but then we get the caption at
the end of the sequence "the future looks bright".

To me, that was not the story that was being told.  To me, their future
seemed to be filled with hope, but trepidation.  With a measure of
comfort, but uncertainty.  The future may certainly be brighter than it
had been, but at the same time, certainly not one of unbridaled
optimism, which is what the caption seems to suggest.

Now, none of this may make sense.  But I thought you might be
interested in the idea that someone else (who hasn't been involved in
the project) could see the same six pictures and see a very different
story.

M.