Subject: RE: [Leica] ACLU and Your Right To "Keep Pushing That Shutter"
From: "bdcolen" <bdcolen@earthlink.net>
Date: Mon, 10 Feb 2003 11:00:21 -0500

Mark, Mark, Mark - The racist connotation of "states rights" hardly
began with Nixon. First off, it had long been used by the likes of
Russell Long and his protégé Lyndon B. Johnson in their struggle to
block every piece of modern Civil Rights legislation; it was the banner
carried by Strom "Who am I?" Thurmond when he ran for President on the
Dixiecrat ticket in 1948; and it had been the refuge of every racist
politician from the end of the Civil War onwards as they fought to
prevent black Americans from obtaining the basic rights of citizenship.
Nixon just picked up the banner, cleverly wrapped the Republican Party
in it, creating what we today know as the Southern Strategy. BTW -
remember who one of the last defenders of Nixon on the House impeachment
committee was? A young Mississippian named - Trent Lott. :-)

B. D.