Subject: Re: [Leica] Warranty Issues
From: Rolfe Tessem <rolfe@ldp.com>
Date: Mon, 10 Feb 2003 12:39:44 -0500

bdcolen wrote:
> Jerry - IF, in fact, the product in question was brand new; IF, in fact,
> it was legally imported; IF, in fact, it was covered by a passport
> before the dealer "removed" the papers and charged you less; THEN the
> product was covered by the passport whether or not the dealer cut a deal
> with you - because the passport comes from Leica, and is, I believe,
> linked to the serial number and date of sale. (I know that I have sent
> in equipment for Passport work without having papers filled out, and
> without having the passport card, and it was recovered and returned to
> me with the card.)
>
> B. D.

I believe that what B.D. lays out above is absolutely correct, based on
my personal experience and conversations with Leica. There is no way for
a dealer to divorce the Passport from equipment that is imported by
Leica USA, whatever he may say to make the sale.

Now, there is demo gear, U code gear, etc. but that is a separate issue.

- --
Rolfe Tessem      |     Lucky Duck Productions, Inc.
rolfe@ldp.com     |     96 Morton Street
(212) 463-0029    |     New York, Ny 10014