Subject: Re: [Leica] OT? August Sander now W.G. Sebald
From: Marty Deveney <sealpup@sharkattacks.com>
Date: Wed, 19 Feb 2003 19:38:36 -0800 (PST)

>>the papers of that time, this in no way detracts from the force of >>the images, many of which would fit perfectly into W. G. Sebald's >>novels. Oliver Bryk
>Absolutley - I've just finished Austerlitz - what a stunning book. And >what a loss Sebald's death was.
>Any thoughts on his other books?

I met Sebald briefly in 1997.  A very pleasant meeting indeed and one of the most thought-provoking I have ever had with an academic.  His ideas on the psyche of destruction are worth considering right now.

To keep things on topic, he was a really good photographer, not that you can tell from the low-quality material in his published works.  I asked him if he had a Leica, but I don't remember his answer, or indeed if he did.

As far as his books go, 'The Emigrants' is probably his most accomplished, although 'Austerlitz' is by far the most novel-like.  In 'The Emigrants' Sebald's description of a painter in exile is a fascinating description of art and creativity and although not directly photographic in nature, really rekindled my own interest in making art.

There is a symposium on Sebald's work next month at Davidson College for anyone in the US.
http://www.davidson.edu/academic/german/denham/sebaldcfp.htm

I cannot recommend any of his books highly enough.

Marty