Subject: RE: [Leica] RE: Longevity of Leica products
From: "Frank Filippone" <red735i@earthlink.net>
Date: Sun, 23 Feb 2003 10:54:59 -0800

For all you expecting to use FPGA in a future incarnation of a M7 control
circuit, I recommend you think through the problem of converting the analog
voltage picked up by the light sensor and converting it to digital so the
digital control parts can do their job.....There is not to my knowledge an
FPGA that has an A/D converter block.  Sure, it is possible to use an FPGA
plus an external A/D, but now the size is bigger and the power greater.

OTOH, for about $1 you can buy a low end uP ( uController) that has a built
in A/D, lots of registers for counting time, digital outputs for running
LED's and motor/solenoid control circuits, and is programmable.  It runs on
low voltages and low current.

If Austin can find out the answer on the electronic contents of the M6 and
M7 shutter control circuitry, we will have a definitive answer ( from the
horses' mouth)....

Frank Filippone
red735i@earthlink.net