Subject: RE: [Leica] Leica MP -- Yes, it's true!
From: Henning Wulff <henningw@archiphoto.com>
Date: Sun, 23 Feb 2003 21:25:10 -0800

At 10:19 PM -0600 2/23/03, Karen Nakamura wrote:
>>>  So let me see if I understand this.
>>>  After 47 years they still haven't been able to
>>>  incorporate a zoom vf and I'm suppossed to be excited?
>>
>>One of the advantages OF a rangefinder for me is being able to see more than
>>the framed image.
>
>Yes, but think how convenient it'd be if you could have a little
>switch on the side of the camera marked 1.0x,  1.5x,  2.0x  and with
>that little switch, the finder would switch magnifications. You
>could always stay in the magnification level you wanted (0.5, 0.75,
>and 1.0) to optimize between seeing "outside" the lines and RF
>accuracy.
>
>Imagine how .... groundbreaking that would be....  It would require
>engineering of the highest degree and use of the most sophisticated
>materials.    I bet even the best Japanese engineers couldn't have
>even produced that .... 45 years ago.
>
>Karen

The problem is that nobody in any era has been able to create a
variable magnifications finder that is really clear, crisp and
accurate. The all look (looked) pretty sorry in comparison to
Leica's. Any accuracy gained by the magnification is negated by the
fuzzier view, and you have to live with the same fuzzy view even at
lower magnifications.

- --
    *            Henning J. Wulff
   /|\      Wulff Photography & Design