Subject: Re: [Leica] Silly errors
From: Martin Howard <mvhoward@mac.com>
Date: Sun, 23 Feb 2003 22:55:15 -0800

Richard F. Man wrote:

> Though there are some "bargains" right now on the M6s, if $1400 is a
> bargain, I will get an M7 though because I like AE.

I grew up on AE SLRs (Nikon F-301, F-3, Minolta X-700) and only got
back into photography after a relatively lengthy hiatus.  I started out
with an M3, then graduated to an M2 and M6TTL.  While I find the
built-in meter of the M6 a convenience at times, I've never lacked
automatic exposure of any kind.  Indeed, for a while I had an R7, which
I sold in favour of an R6, because the R6 was simpler and allowed me to
concentrate on the photography.

I actually see the lack of AE as an *advantage*.  Obviously, this has
to do with the way I photograph (incident meter, selecting aperture,
setting shutter speed according to meter), but I find that it is one
less thing that I need to keep my mind on.  I never have to second
guess what the AE system is reading, and how I should compensate.
While, with AE cameras, I could have 36 shots on a roll of film that
were all over the place exposure-wise, I find these days that I either
have 36 shots that are all well exposed, or they are all screwed up in
one direction or the other.  The latter is a learning issue -- as I
"calibrated" my metering technique and learnt how it translated onto
film, the "bum rolls" are fewer and further between (and, let's face
it, they weren't *that* frequent to start off with).

But then, this is coming from someone who's favorite M-mount camera at
the moment is a Bessa T...

M.

Replies: Reply from Mark Rabiner <mark@rabinergroup.com> (Re: [Leica] Silly errors)