Subject: Re: [Leica] Leicavit vs Canon Built-in Winder
From: "Don Dory" <dorysrus@mindspring.com>
Date: Tue, 25 Feb 2003 23:51:57 -0500

David,
I can't say that there is anything special to look out for.  The early Canon
bodies were slightly crude(finish, chrome, size compared to the early
fifties Leicas) pretty close knock offs of thread mount Leica's.  Therefore
the usual inspection of shutter speeds, curtain condition, rangefinder
patch, smell of the interior(no mold, no WD40).  You will want to find a
spool inside as they are superior to Leica's and many were transplanted.  I
wouldn't hold it against the camera if the chrome was a little pitted or
flaking just a bit.

As to the wind, is it smooth, no hitches, the latch works smoothly, no
slippage?

I saw a lot of these a couple of years ago, but haven't seen many lately.
If you see any of the Canon's with a winder give it a look.  I can argue
that the variable viewfinder magnification is really nice with 135's, and I
can argue that the variable frames of the VT are really nice in a LTM.  See,
Stephen Gandy's excellent cameraquest.com site for more information.

Don
dorysrus@mindspring.com

Message from "Don Dory" <dorysrus@mindspring.com> (Re: [Leica] Leicavit vs Canon Built-in Winder)
Message from "SML" <leirex@access4less.net> (Re: [Leica] Leicavit vs Canon Built-in Winder)