Subject: RE: [Leica] R9
From: grduprey@rockwellcollins.com
Date: Thu, 27 Feb 2003 08:23:59 -0600

Bill

I own a R4SP and also a Leicaflex SL.  I love both, wish I could afford a
new R9, but just bought the M6TTL.  If you want a 400 speed film, I'd
recommend the Portra (?) 400UC film by Kodak, I recently discovered it and
think it is just great for its speed, grain and color saturation/balance.
I know the Fuji people are cringing, but I've never had good luck with Fuji
film.  As for the 100/28, it is a superb lens - I don't have one, but have
used one and have considered trading off the wife for one - Don't tell her
I said that...

Gene

                      "WOC" <woc2@earthlink.net>
                      Sent by:                            To:       <leica-users@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us>
                      owner-leica-users@mejac.palo        cc:
                      -alto.ca.us                         Subject:  RE: [Leica] R9

                      02/26/2003 10:25 PM
                      Please respond to
                      leica-users

OK, I realize this is a Leica question, on topic and all that but I'll risk
it anyhow.  But rest assured, it will not be an easy straight forward
question.

I have been a M person for quite some time and for SLR use, I have been
quite happy with my Nikon stuff (busy dodging the tomatoes being thrown my
way).  Few weeks ago I got the urge to look into R equipment based on what
seemed to be a reasonable price for a R4S offered on for sale by one of our
members.  This led to looking for lenses and is now totally out of hand.  A
friend dropped off a R9 with winder and 100 macro lens for me to use for a
week and a half while he is out of town.  Unfortunately he did not bring
the
flash so I am somewhat limited.  He is convinced the lens is one of the
magic lenses and I will be hooked once I see the results.

I find the R9 a bit bulky and heavy, but I'm sure that has to do with using
a 'unfamiliar' body with controls that are similar but different and using
lens that I would not normally use for 'everyday' stuff.  I have the 105
macro but it is one of the lesser used lenses on my shelf. And yes, it is
AF, and yes, I tend to prefer AF.

I guess the most pressing question is what film to use that will best show
off the lens.  I know that slides would probably be better then print but I
would prefer to use print film.  I loaded some Fuji 400 in it to start and
have some Fuji 100.  Is there something better I could be using?  I realize
that to some extent the answer tends to be somewhat personal, but there are
films that are better then others.  Guess I should mention that I like the
'rich' colors.  Would like B&W but over the decades have come to the
conclusion that it is a talent I do not have.  But then, maybe this is the
lens to teach me proper B&W... Is this really one of the magic Leica
lenses?
My favorite subjects are cars in motion on a race track.  Given the snow in
the North East it is unlikely I'll see that while I have this though....

Sorry for the length.  Awaiting the wisdom of the group to lead me to the
next step, which could quite possibly be a shrink :->

Thanks,
Bill