Subject: Re: [Leica]Was: (OT) Upcoming Photo Exhibit--Shameless self-promotion; Now: [also OT] Split Toning
From: Robert Marvin <marvbej@earthlink.net>
Date: Sun, 2 Mar 2003 19:05:29 -0500

That is exactly what I mean Alistair. AFAIK there are two kinds of
split toning. One, which I haven't tried,  involves using more than
one type of toner;  the other, simpler, kind is also called partial
toning. Some warm-toned papers work very well with this. I've found
that with Forte fiber based Polywarmtone VC paper (as well as with
the corresponding Forte RC paper) 2 minutes in 1:15 Kodak Rapid
Selenium Toner produces a subtile warm-toned effect, 6 minutes (or
so) produces a  partial or 'split' toned effect where darker tones
are quite brown while lighter terms remain gray. Longer toning
produces an overall warm brown. It's simply a matter of watching the
color change in the toner and removing the print when it seems ready

I first noticed this effect (by accident) a couple of year ago when a
Hungarian friend gave me a sample of Forte warm-toned RC paper.
Previously, i had been using Kodak RST because, I  read , it
increased the permanence of RC prints. On the Freestyle Arista and
Adorama re-labeled versions of Ilford Multigrade I had been using
there was virtually no color change with selenium--OTOH the color
change with Forte paper was quite striking.

IMO split toning works very well with some images. For example, in
http://www.FGPAonline.com/rm/Groton_VT_II.jpg The distant New
Hampshire 'White Mountains' and the sky are rendered in gray while
the closer Vermont mountains and pond are quite brown. In
http://www.FGPAonline.com/rm/Groton_VT_I.jpg  The sky, fence post and
galvanized metal watering trough  remain gray against a warm brown
background. In both prints like the increased separation produced by
the color difference. I've used this effect in two more of the 24
prints in my show at Gallery 718--more might be overdoing it.

I make no claims to be a 'master' printer and I'm sure that many
other LUGers can explain split toning far better than I can. Also,
I'm sure that many warm-toned papers other than Forte may be used.
However, I'm so taken with Forte Polywarmtone fiber paper that I'm
planning on using it for everything once my stocks of Adorama RC and
fiber paper are used up.

Bob Marvin

Replies: Reply from Alastair Firkin <firkin@ncable.net.au> (Re: [Leica]Was: (OT) Upcoming Photo Exhibit--Shameless self-promotion; Now: [also OT] Split Toning)