Subject: Re: OT ships was Re: [Leica] Leica Guilt - Cruising
From: "Seth Rosner" <sethrosner1@msn.com>
Date: Mon, 3 Mar 2003 08:21:57 -0500

Thank you, Craig:

- ----- Original Message -----
From: "Craig Zeni" <clzeni@mindspring.com>
Subject: OT ships was Re: [Leica] Leica Guilt - Cruising

> QEII, Normandie, SS United States et
> al were designed to get passengers across the Atlantic in comfort to
> their destinations as quickly as possible...the United States is the
> current (and likely last) holder of the Blue Ribband, the unofficial
> trophy for the fastest transatlantic run.  The United States did this
> in 1952, *averaging* 35.5 knots and making the NY-Southhampton
> journey in just under 3 and a half days, besting the old Queen Mary
> record by ten hours.  And it's said that the vessel was not moving as
> fast as it could.

S.S. United States was constructed with the help of massive government
financing. Design parameters included ability to convert quickly into a
troop transport and a speed, classified but reputed to have been above 40
knots, sufficient to enable her to transport troops without necessity of
warship escorts.

Having served for almost two years as a young watch officer on U.S.S.
Intrepid, I know first-hand what it takes to drive a large vessel through
the water at above 30 knots. Above 40 knots is quite phenomenal.
Incidentally, one knot (as most know, it is a measure of speed, not
distance) equals about 1.13 miles per hour; 40 knots translates into a bit
above 45 mph.

Seth

Message from Rolfe Tessem <rolfe@ldp.com> (Re: [Leica] Leica Guilt?)
Message from "Phil Leeson" <pjleeson@mchsi.com> (Re: [Leica] Leica Guilt - Cruising)