Subject: Re: [Leica] PAW 9 dlridings
From: Mark Rabiner <mark@rabinergroup.com>
Date: Mon, 03 Mar 2003 07:28:22 -0800

Daniel Ridings wrote:

> I turned 50 last week and have been away (they make a big big deal out of
> 50 over here in Scandinavia). My wife and I got in the car and mosied down
> to northern Germany. We didn't plan anything else other than we would look
> for a place to sleep in Lübeck the first night.
>
> Lübeck is a "Hansa city". Hansa was a trade agreement between up to 200
> cities in the middle ages. Lübeck was the "Brussels" for a period.
>
> A huge church was built (there are many, but this one, Maria, is taller
> than the bishop's). More stories about that later.
>
> In 1942 Lübeck was bombed and the fires that broke out spread destruction
> throughout the cities, destroying many ancient works of art. These bells
> finally feel down, from over 100 meters, and have been lying here every
> since:
>
> http://geocities.com/daniel_ridings/paw2003/9.html
>
> The alternative is my birthday meal:
>
> http://geocities.com/daniel_ridings/paw2003/9alt1.html
>
> More to come from the trip later ...
>
> Daniel

I love sausage - I love fat. But it's that apparently lit cigarette in
the ashtray just inches from it that got my immediate attention. I
remember when a lit cigarette during a dinner never got a second glace.
Over there I'm sure it doesn't still. Over here though it seems like a
very old memory. And we have become it seems over sensitized to them
when we are around them. A cigarette at my dinner table now would stop
me and half the table cold.

Congrats on turning 50. I just did so myself a couple of years ago. And
nice shot. But scary.
The fat combined with the cigarettes does not make for a 60.
Unless none of that is true like in the Woody Allen movie.
Which in effect has happened because they're going "eat the meat, eat
the meat, just don't eat the potato and the pasta"
Which, in the 80's is what old timers use to tell us and we'd laugh at them.

If your like me you'll find 50 easy, it's 49 which is murder.

Mark Rabiner
Portland, Oregon USA
http://www.rabinergroup.com
Email: mark@rabinergroup.com