Subject: Re: [Leica] The Leica Glow
From: grduprey@rockwellcollins.com
Date: Tue, 4 Mar 2003 11:34:00 -0600

So that's the problem with my 90/2.8 Tele-Elmarit, it just has too much
Leica Glow...

Hey, I just shot the Toby Keith and Rascal Flats Concert here in town with
the lens, and the shots came out pretty good in spite of the
glaring/flashing lights smoke etc.

I also am not needing to send the M6TTL back to Leica, as the vertical
alignment of the rangefinder is just fine, it appears the vertical
alignment problem is my in own eyes...  this age thing sure is a bitch!

Gene

                      Johnny Deadman
                      <lists@johnbrownlow.com>            To:       leica-users@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us
                      Sent by:                            cc:
                      owner-leica-users@mejac.palo        Subject:  Re: [Leica] The Leica Glow
                      -alto.ca.us

                      03/04/2003 10:30 AM
                      Please respond to
                      leica-users

The leica glow is really just a combination of flare, uncorrected
chromatic aberration rendered in BW, and a slight amount of coma
associated (mainly) with a particular design of wide-aperture
non-retrofocus wide-angle lenses. It's the 'leica' glow rather than
just a regular glow because it is combined with the usual Leica
rendering of fine detail (only partially obscured by the defects I
mention). It's easy enough to get it: shoot any of the pre-aspheric 35
or 50 Summiluxes or Summicrons wide open, particularly contre-jour or
with high lighting contrasts, and you will have it in spades. The
35/1.4 pre-asph is probably the most spectacular source of it.

The thing is, it's an effect. A very very very nice effect to be sure,
but an effect nevertheless. I got pretty tired of it, because in many
contexts it surrounds whatever you are shooting with a sort of romantic
fog, which can be very effective especially when it is completely
against the grain of whatever you are shooting, but eventually I just
wanted to scrub the damn fog off. It's like playing a guitar through
the same amp the whole time. Some people can do that and make a career
out of it. I couldn't.

On Tuesday, March 4, 2003, at 10:58 AM, Daniel Ridings wrote:

> It's hard for me to say ... I really have never seen the Leica glow.
> But
> if "glow" means the nice optical quality that shines through when you
> use
> Leica glass ... I suspect any of the Summicrons will do. I have the
> second
> generation (I think) and it does just fine. I did have a better
> Summicron
> once (also second generation I think) but it got stolen. I've never
> felt
> that the replacement lives up to the first one.
- --
John Brownlow

http://www.pinkheadedbug.com