Subject: RE: [Leica] Flag waving
From: Marc James Small <msmall@infi.net>
Date: Sat, 08 Mar 2003 17:57:39 -0500

At 09:49 PM 3/8/03 +0100, Steve Unsworth wrote:
>I was wondering myself if Marc would like to tell the customers of a Glasgow
>bar that they were all really English ;-)

Absolutely.

Look you:  the Lowlanders are Labour and Presbyterian.  The Highlands are
Liberals or SDP or whatever that is being called this week, and are either
Catholic or Episcopal.  (The US Episcopal Church,  incidentally, descends
from the Scottish Episcopal Church and not from the Church of England, but
the Bishop of London in 1785 has that blot on his escutcheon, and bless
Samuel Seabury for being the persistent soul that he was.)  Highlanders are
aware of clans.  Lowlanders have no clue what it means to be a member of a
clan, though they DO know what it means to be a member of a union.

A Glasgow pub would probably be filled with descendants of the Irish who
moved in a century back.  These folks have more Gaelic blood in them than
would the denizens of, say, an Edinburgh bar.

You guys should reach WHISKEY GALORE and quit ignoring the facts!

Beanachd leibh,

Marc

msmall@infi.net  FAX:  +276/343-7315
Cha robh bąs fir gun ghrąs fir!