Subject: [Leica] Re: Leica MP and Leicavit M
From: "" <leica-user@ispwest.com>
Date: Thu, 13 Mar 2003 18:55:53 -0800

- -

> Hello Ruddy just a few passing problems and thoughts.

!.  Well
Just like a Mark from Oregon USA to unfold the negatives in my piece and to use it as the
focal point for discussion...I wonder why you did not spend the fifteen minutes to say why
there is no need to have deep political discussions, however we will allow conversations
about what a blind photographer can shoot and what he cannot hear if he is also
deaf.....(hypocricy Mark.

Just for you...
My name is Radcliffe Leopold Roye.
I was born in  Montego bay Jamaica...migrated to this wonderful country of yours where
we discuss racism on the LUG but it is not viewed as political diatribe...it is something we
discuss using slang words like lens cap and UV.  I do not read the LUG to discover a new
name..I am hear to delve into this world of camera and more importantly the reason
people use them.  Is it because they are better than any other equipment..is it becuase the
lens are sharper..whatever it is..the cameras do not speak..it is the users that i am
interested in and if you are going to tell me that well I spend close to $2000 for a camera,
about the same for each lens but I am not interested in anything but the machine and what
it produces then....wow.

I believe that when i bought my first R6.2..it was because Salgado used it.  I have matured
since that initial feeling..to something like what young men might feel when they watch the
early James Bond flicks....."I wish i was an espionage agent"(maybe)......In a way I do not
think we ever outgrow this feeling. It is this feeling that gives me a kind of surreal, fantastic,
confidence that is associated with the mythodology of using a leica.  In other words  I
escape to another world when I pick up my camera.
>I wonder if it is an American trait to always stereo-type people you do not know.  I wonder
about this thing that you seem to do so well...accentuate the negative.  Couldn't you have
seen me as someone who was new to this and was trying to feel my way round,
meanwhile trying to let you-all know what I was interested in talking about.
> And I am going to give you the benefit of the doubt and not render any opinions about
the way you reason...but I really do not think I have to spoon feed an adult and say
specifically that "it is the camera that will be used to lay down your legacy,"
I really hope that when all is said and done we do make images that transcend the
term,"pretty picture"  I hope that in all the thousands of film we develop..couple picture
moved mountains or was a blessing to another human being..if that is political idealism
then..man I am in the wrong profession.

> This is an equipment list. Leica User Group.  It's about using a certain
> brand camera, Leica's.
> Its not about "topics that might change the way people live, think, eat,
> listen to the news, discuss politics, treat or(sic) fellowman, care for
> our environment." It just not. It's about lens caps and UV filters.
> We're Geeks you see...
Well can Geeks think.....?

> 3. Get a name. Cool it with the righteously high ideas and political
> agenda for the lug and I wish you a merry Lugmas.
Now that you know my name..and my "righteous high ldeas and political agenda, tell me
what is wrong with bonding with photographers whose purpose in lifting their cameras..is
to lift up another human spirit......tell me why is that considered high ideas..and by the way
I was  hypothesising and was not really hoping that some Geek would shine a light on
them as  specifics   I just wanted to know if there were people who wanted to change the
world with their images.

> 4. We know your political and philosophic leanings but not a clue as to
> which camera, lens and UV filters you use and what you use them FOR!
> Putting some picture up in the web will give you a lot more leeway.
> I'm here on the LUG to talk about cameras. And photography especially
> when it involves Leica cameras.
> IF i wanted to talk politics. I'd join that list. And pepper them with
> UV filter posts yea that's the ticket.

And finally:
I use R8s one R6.2 (sold the other)..2 M6s..an M7(will purchase an MP
I use 21APO, 28, 35, 50, 90, for M and a 19mm and a 35f1.4
I shoot mostly for magazines, newspapers and wires..I do not use filters..well UVs
and I have a slide show coming up at the ICP on April 4 for those who are interested.

 Ruddy