Subject: RE: [Leica] Latest shot from a digital with a Leica lens
From: "Austin Franklin" <darkroom@ix.netcom.com>
Date: Sun, 16 Mar 2003 04:40:57 -0500

Javier,

> Actually
> I have been looking into it for quite some time so
> understanding isn't really an issue,

Well, with all due respect, "looking into this for quite some time" is FAR
FAR FAR from knowing what the issues are with actually designing a digital
camera, and the costs of the development effort, much less the production of
such as well as the business issues involved.  If you've never designed one
(or even done electronic product design), you would not understand the
actual issues, and the significance of them.  I have, and have been for 25
years, and I know exactly what the issues are with the electronics.  I'm not
an optical expert, but those issues are easily established.

> It's unfortunate
> that you have decided to take the discussion in that
> direction.

In what direction?  I just call it like it is.  You made claims that just
don't hold any water, and you don't like my rebuttal.  Pipe dreaming is one
thing, but you did not label your comments as such, if you did, that would
be a different story.

Your initial comment was that digital backs exist, and therefore a digital M
should, and they are two different problems.  You then said "what's to
accomplish...There's absolutely no reason not to have a db available for an
M.", which shows lack of understanding of the entire process.  There ARE
good reasons not to have a "digital back available for an M".

> It's more than doable.

No one ever argued it being doable.  Read what I wrote, and I quote:

"No one has said it couldn't be done, but as I've said, the development
effort is significant, the functionality diminished, and the audience is
small."

Those are ALL indisputably true.

> The shorter than 28 lenses can use the ccd for focus
> confirm with the shutter on b. Yes, you would need to
> wind up open the shutter and then wind up again and
> shoot.

That's real practical (said sarcastically).  And, where would this focus
confirmation be displayed?  In the viewfinder, or on the little LCD on the
back?

> If you wish to use an lcd at focus time you can
> you can. A focus only lcd can provide a much magnified
> image of the central focusing zone.

Of course, but it is impractical and difficult to use.  I've been there and
done that.

Time and money are best spent elsewhere than a digital M.  Now, if you
wanted to design a body from scratch that TOOK M lenses, that's a different
story, and, IMO, a FAR better idea.

I am not pooh-poohing you for your ideas, in fact, I appreciate and
encourage them...but don't present the problem like it's "easy", because it
isn't.

Regards,

Austin