Subject: RE: [Leica] Latest shot from a digital with a Leica lens
From: "Austin Franklin" <darkroom@ix.netcom.com>
Date: Sun, 16 Mar 2003 03:25:57 -0500

Javier,

> What's to accomplish?

It's not rocket science, per se, but it is a significant development effort.

> It's been done on every medium format camera except
> Kowas!

No, that is not the same thing.  Those are one shot backs, that are
tethered.

> There's absolutely no reason not to have a db
> available for an M.

There are many reasons.  They've been discussed not only today, but in the
past.

> If it's a big mp back the
> bottom and film space could also be used.

That is not sufficient.  You must not have any sense as to what is involved.

> As for the
> motordrive, I could do without it. As for the short
> non retro lenses longer than 28 it shouldn't be an
> issue.

You mean shorter than 28.  28 may not even work, but from a practical
standpoint, you are not the only one who would be the audience, and that
issue is a significant one.

> Adapted R lenses below could be used since rf
> coupling isn't necessary and the ccd can be used for
> focusing.

Er, how?  Using a little bitty LCD on the back?  Hardly.

> There is no excuse for not having a db for
> the Ms and Rs.

It's not excuses that keep it from being made, it's simply not practical
from both an economic standpoint or from a design/manufacturing standpoint.

You can huff and puff all you want, but it isn't going to happen.  What you
have to accept, and this isn't meant to be mean in any way, shape or form,
is that you don't know enough about what is involved from both an
engineering standpoint or a business standpoint to understand why.

No one has said it couldn't be done, but as I've said, the development
effort is significant, the functionality diminished, and the audience is
small.

Austin

Replies: Reply from Jerry Lehrer <jerryleh@pacbell.net> (Re: [Leica] Latest shot from a digital with a Leica lens)