Subject: RE: [Leica] Digilux angst
From: "Austin Franklin" <darkroom@ix.netcom.com>
Date: Sun, 16 Mar 2003 18:57:04 -0500

Hi Robert,

> It is mostly from people formatting them through their computer.  It is a
> FAT file system used by the cameras and some cameras put a proprietary
> format on the card.

If that is the case, how does a Windows system see it?  BTW, I do not
believe it is a FAT file system.  That would only allow 8.3 filenames,
unless it was a FAT32.

> And for others, it is just a
> software glitch between the card manufacturer and the camera manufacturer.

Right, and that should not exist.

> For example, the Lexar WA (write accelerated) cards can have corruption
> problems with some cameras.  They include a recovery program with
> the cards.

Are you sure the people there aren't ex-Microsoft Windows programmers?
Cripes!  Shades of DOS and Windows 3.1!

> It is not always the cards problem.  Some problems can be related to the
> environment and handling.  For example, flash memory only has a lower
> working limit of 32 degrees Fahrenheit.  This in itself could have caused
> Marc's problem.  Shooting outside in the winter we have been
> having, it is
> not hard to get the camera to a temperature below the cards
> specifications.

If the card/camera is only spec'd to 0C then yes, you are right...but
really, I'd be hard pressed (having designed quite a few FLASH systems) to
believe that would cause a problem, unless it was below 0 F.  Fact is, cold
would probably help, not hurt.  I could see having problems when it's hot
out.  Now, if it was a hard disk, it would be a different story.

Regards,

Austin