Subject: Re: [Leica] Re: Flash Aperture, [ was Which Leica ?, M5, M6TTL, or M7 ]
From: "Richard F. Man" <richard@imagecraft.com>
Date: Tue, 18 Mar 2003 13:33:13 -0800

At 12:05 PM 3/18/2003 -0700, John Collier wrote:
>Unfortunately no if you are using a M6TTL. As I posted earlier the M6TTL
>does not indicate overexposure. So if you are too close then you will get
>a exposure OK indication even though it was overexposed. If the Metz flash
>also gives you the minimum distance, that would be useful indeed. The
>SF-20 does not.

I understand this part. I have an M7 which I think is similar to the M6TTL
in this regard. I learned this overexposure lessons  when a roll of indoor
flash came up almost all too bright with my OM-4 / F280 flash setup. In
many ways, the M7 and OM4 share many same strength and weaknesses. With the
OM-4, the Zuiko list members suggest that I should choose an aperture where
shutter speed is just below the sync speed (which is 1/60 on the OM), and
in most case that should give good exposure. It seems to work pretty well.
That plus avoiding deep background where the metering is fooled etc. In
that case, just dial in the an aperture compensation factor.

// richard <http://www.imagecraft.com>