Subject: Re: [Leica] Re: Flash Aperture, [ was Which Leica ?, M5,M6TTL, or M7 ]
From: Mark Rabiner <mark@rabinergroup.com>
Date: Tue, 18 Mar 2003 16:02:13 -0800

"Richard F. Man" wrote:

> At 12:05 PM 3/18/2003 -0700, John Collier wrote:
> >Unfortunately no if you are using a M6TTL. As I posted earlier the M6TTL
> >does not indicate overexposure. So if you are too close then you will get
> >a exposure OK indication even though it was overexposed. If the Metz flash
> >also gives you the minimum distance, that would be useful indeed. The
> >SF-20 does not.
>
> I understand this part. I have an M7 which I think is similar to the M6TTL
> in this regard. I learned this overexposure lessons  when a roll of indoor
> flash came up almost all too bright with my OM-4 / F280 flash setup. In
> many ways, the M7 and OM4 share many same strength and weaknesses. With the
> OM-4, the Zuiko list members suggest that I should choose an aperture where
> shutter speed is just below the sync speed (which is 1/60 on the OM), and
> in most case that should give good exposure. It seems to work pretty well.
> That plus avoiding deep background where the metering is fooled etc. In
> that case, just dial in the an aperture compensation factor.

So these smaller flashes are unable to cut themselves off fast enought
when things get tight?

Maybe it's only the bigger ones ironically which have that ability?

You end up with an effective exposure time of not 1/1000th of a second
or even 1/10,000th of a second! but 1/800,000 perhaps!?
Some reciprocity failure and resulting color cross over should ensue. No
subject or camera motion blur.

Most of the auto flash's I've used for years and years have not had much
of a "too close" problem. It's "how far" is the only thing I've got to
be aware of! And reflective surfaces throwing them off.

Mark Rabiner
Portland, Oregon USA
http://www.rabinergroup.com

Message from "Richard F. Man" <richard@imagecraft.com> (Re: [Leica] Re: Flash Aperture, [ was Which Leica ?, M5, M6TTL, or M7 ])