Subject: Re: [Leica] OT: cheap Nikon AF body? .. for one lens only
From: "Don Dory" <dorysrus@mindspring.com>
Date: Mon, 24 Mar 2003 19:04:09 -0500

Well, now that we are on a genuine Leica topic, why would you break out the
Nomex?
Many on this list would say get the SL.  Fabulous viewfinder, continuously
variable shutter speeds mostly, built like a tank.  Downsides would be
relatively heavy, really manual advance only(MOT models available but pricey
and really large), and thirty years old.

Price for an SL would be in the very high $300 to $500 depending on
condition and how long it has been on the shelf

If you want a newer model then the R4-R7 have adherents.  Smaller than the
SL with a poorer viewfinder these models offer auto exposure modes, easy
attachment of winders and motors, changeable viewfinders etc.  The early
models had fatal electronic flaws but any now out there working should be
fine.  Later models offer TTL flash(R5 and up).

Prices for the R series run from about $300 to $1600 R4 to R6.2.

I would personally choose the SL for personal work or if you don't need
motors or TTL flash.  If you want those things then I would track down a
clean R8.  Based on conversations with dealers, I bet that you could get a
clean used one for much less than $1000.  This isn't what is advertised but
one dealer has put in writing that he/she pays $800 for mint R8's in trade.
As in most endeavors, money now is frequently much nicer than money maybe
never.

Don
dorysrus@mindspring.com

Message from Mark Rabiner <mark@rabinergroup.com> (Re: [Leica] OT: cheap Nikon AF body? .. for one lens only)