Subject: Re: [Leica] OT Arnold Newman
From: Mark Rabiner <mark@rabinergroup.com>
Date: Mon, 24 Mar 2003 20:04:06 -0800

Tim Atherton wrote:

> I met Newman and his wife at the Maine Workshops a few years ago - a very
> nice man, and a very interesting speaker.
>
> Anyone who is in the photo business knows how photographers copyright has
> been eroded, especially over the last 4 or 5 years, and also, rates paid for
> usage not, in many cases,  having increased for ten or fifteen years.
>
> A couple of years ago I read a story by Newman in response top this. I
> recall he felt it especially unjust how new, young photographers were
> getting screwed by some of the big name publications. I believe it was
> partly his way of evening the balance ever so slightly.
>
> He got a call from one of the big mags (forget who it was now, Vanity Fair,
> maybe still Life one such, anyway). It was the (probably bright young thing)
> assistant photo editor, who by the sound of it, had no idea of Newman's
> photographic reputation. They wanted to use the famous picture of
> Stravinsky - his response was - certainly, and this is how much the usage
> fee is - a very nice tidy sum (of course, nothing less than such a picture
> is worth). There was a combined gasp and nervous giggle and the girl on the
> phone told him - Oh no, we would never pay anything like that - our rate is
> $225.00 (or some such insulting fee). To which Arnold replied - fine - go
> get someone else to shoot it - and put the phone down.
>
> Well, Stravinsky being long dead, a couple of hours later there was a very
> apologetic call from the Photo Editor, saying we really do need the
> photograph, and of course we'll pay your fee Mr Newman...

But were they doing an article on Stravinsky or on Newman?
My moneys on Newman. I don't know why.
But if I am right then there's a thing about how much do i expect to get
paid for invaluable PR. (Public relations)
Public relations is advertising you don't have to pay for and is much
more effective.
But when they pay YOU it's an interesting deal. Perhaps you'd not want
to ask for too much and scare them off.

Mark Rabiner
Portland, Oregon USA
http://www.rabinergroup.com

Oh boy!
Igor Stravinsky
Oh boy!
Bo Bolinsky
Oh boy!
David Dubinsky and Minsky and Wernher Von Braun
Oh boy!

(Allen Sherman)