Subject: RE: [Leica] favorite macro equipment?
From: Marc James Small <msmall@infi.net>
Date: Fri, 28 Mar 2003 17:36:09 -0500

First, if I am hiking or in any other situation where weight is a concern,
I'll just pop the 2/5cm DR/NF Summicron on one of my M's and take the eyes
with me.  This is close enough for most purposes, though it is not, as has
been noted, a true macro arrangement.

If I will not be hiking over broken country, I'd probably opt for my
Hasselblad 2000 FC/M and my 5.6/120 S-Planar, which provides similar
coverage to the DF/NR Summicron but, of course, on a larger plate scale.

If I have a little less concern for weight, I'd probably take my Viso III
outfit with a Bellows II and use a regular macro lens for extreme close-up.
 I have macro lenses ranging from a 16mm Luminar to 120mm and 18cm Photars,
plus a bunch of CZJ Mikrotars, B&L Micro-Tessars, Leitz Miko-Summars and
Milars, and Zeiss S-Planars.  This allows me to have a huge range of
enlargements and provides a remarkably flexible and capable system, as
these lenses are only designed for extreme close-up work.

Finally, if my masochism is creeping up or if I have the services of a
bearer, I'd go with my Hasselblad and its bellows, together with that
magnificent 5.6/135 Spezial-Planar or one of the macro lenses I have listed
above.

I could do other rigs (a Leica IIIc with a PLOOT and bellows would be
another option, for instance), but the above would provide the maximum in
optical quality with the minimum of weight.

Marc

msmall@infi.net  FAX:  +276/343-7315
Cha robh bąs fir gun ghrąs fir!

Replies: Reply from Mark Rabiner <mark@rabinergroup.com> (Re: [Leica] favorite macro equipment?)