Subject: Re: [Leica] fired for photoshopping
From: Mark Rabiner <mark@rabinergroup.com>
Date: Thu, 03 Apr 2003 12:38:19 -0800

><Snip>
>
> I'm not so sure any longer that firing the photographer was the right
> thing to do.
>
> M.

An April fools Foto?

I'm starting to think what happened is a phenomena that I and others
have been noticing.
Photoshop Mania. People get good in Photoshop and it goes to their
heads. They cant resist fooling with it and they think they can do
anything. Reality is like putting in their hands. Photoshop Fever. They
regularly spend hours a day fooling with it when they can. It's a world.
A Galaxy. A cult. I have an airbrush and no one cared. I use the air
tank to brush off my negatives.
That the shot he played around with got sent to them by accident I'll
never buy.
I'll buy he hoped they'd pick that one and they did.
No cameras? maybe it's time to go out and buy your own digital camera an
antique in 6 months and no good to the 5th grade class.
Ethics go down the tubes with there is a stimulant.
Stimulants
other drugs
Manias. Gambling, Auctioning
Obsessions. With pretty people or expensive cars or cameras.

Go to any college or high school and somewhere in there is a room filled
with 30 or 40 computers and a student behind each one each doing
Photoshop. Retouching the head off their math teacher. Putting the
science teachers head on a cheer leader body. Or correcting the color
and density of a landscape. When there's a new way to do something it
gets passed around fast. A software conflict? Common knowledge.
Everybody knows that. Graduate and no more everybody.

Mark Rabiner
Portland, Oregon USA
http://www.rabinergroup.com