Subject: RE: [Leica] fired for photoshopping
From: Tim Atherton <tim@KairosPhoto.com>
Date: Thu, 03 Apr 2003 18:48:55 -0700

row

> Tim
>
> You mean the "Cockroach Theory" applies?

Kinda - does anyone here think this guy is the only news photographer doing
this? Most cases, probably to a lesser extent, closer to where the
"acceptable manipulation" line is fuzzy, but probably on the wrong side of
it. Some more blatantly (though perhaps more skilled, so you don't get the
same dude twice in the background...)

Partly just because it's so darn easy to do, partly because morale in the
news/PJ world is probably at an all time low (and then of course there's
blind ambition/competition)

And of course, a large bunch of PJ/News photographers who wouldn't even
think about doing it - they sharpen and adjust, and if the picture isn't
quite as good as they thought/hope - oh well, there's always tomorrow :-)
(though I can see how if you felt you'd just been to hell and back, and you
kinda saw how the picture didn't quite work - damn - but if you just
combined these two - and HELL I almost died out there getting these, so it
doesn't really count... and it does look more like I remember it...)

tim