Subject: [Leica] Now: Rosenthal/Suribachi (was fired for Photoshopping)
From: Tim Atherton <tim@KairosPhoto.com>
Date: Fri, 04 Apr 2003 10:07:07 -0700

> How would we view today Joe Rosenthal's Pulitzer Prize winning, iconic
> photograph of raising the flag on Mt. Suribachi? It was reenacted (see
>  http://www.iwojima.com/raising/raisingb.htm
> and other URLs on the same topic).

I am sure Marc will correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't believe it was
"re-enacted" at all and certainly not for the photographer.

As I understand it, for various reasons (mainly, as fighting was continuing,
to allow US Marines to be able to see the stars and stripes had been
raised), the second larger flag was put up after the first, smaller one.
This was NOT done for the photographer. But, it was an iconic photograph of
this second flag that Rosenthal captured. He then, later also shot
photographs of the marines and flag raisers posing with the flag (and
captioning of these images has, at times, led to confusion about the well
known image being "posed".

This is entirely different from the British Soldier pot graph we have been
discussing.

http://www.ap.org/pages/rosenthal.html