Subject: Re: [Leica] Alternate to current 35mm ASPH?
From: Mark Rabiner <mark@rabinergroup.com>
Date: Fri, 04 Apr 2003 17:57:11 -0800

faneuil wrote:

> I know that the current 35's are magnificent performers, but
> having handled both the current 35mm ASPH 'cron and 'lux, they both seem
> awfully bulky.
> I am looking for a 35mm lens that would be easier to travel and walk around
> with.
>
> What would be better, lighter alternate Leica manufactured M 35mm lens to
> the current ASPH models?
>
> thanks,
> Eric
> --

Well they are heavy but certainly not bulky.
They are half the size of any Canon or Nikon 35mm lens.

I've carried my 35mm Asph Summicron with a Rapidwinder walking for miles
and miles and miles.

Now I notice it when I'm carrying a 90 Elmarit or Summaron Asph. Those
things are heavy. But not my 35.

I often carry my 50 Summicron which feels quite a bit lighter than my
35. Because it is.
The specs show the previous 35 which was non Asph was a fair amount
lighter than the 50, not heavier.
At the cost of funky wide open performance.

The ASPHs seen to give as supreme wide open shooting. Which is the way a
heck of a lot of photographers work and what Leica glass has come to be
all about. I'm sure there are a few Nikon and Canon lense which perform
well wide open. But i bet not many. Certainly not the zooms. These
lenses require stopping down two to get the quality you expect from a
rough glace at the specs. Two count em two.

In Leica-land we're not having to stop down two, we're not having to
stop down one.
I find it too expensive not to be shooting with that advantage.

Mark Rabiner
Portland, Oregon USA
http://www.rabinergroup.com