Subject: Re: [Leica] Alternate to current 35mm ASPH?
From: Mark Rabiner <mark@rabinergroup.com>
Date: Sat, 05 Apr 2003 04:24:18 -0800

faneuil wrote:

> To refine my original question  - what Leica 35mm lens would be considered
> in the nearest to the "pancake" category? - IE, very slim profile.
>
><Snip>

The pre Asph's are all pancakes they look pretty much the same for a few
decades back. Some of us have been calling them pancakes that for some
time. When you go from version to version back in time i doubt they
change in size very much at all. Those are lenses which you see people
who look like they know what they're doing use without lens shades. They
are doin a lot of fast moving around and getting surreptitious shots on
the fly at a moments notice. Nice nice.
The reason being that they make for such an amazingly compact camera
that that is the major feature you are happy about and you hate to ruin
it with this piece of plastic or metal.

When compactness became less of a big deal on a shot you could just put
your lens shade on again. And when the sun's coming at you from that
side angle where the shade would be doing some real good perhaps. I
think of wide angle lens shades as lens protectors. I cant see them
chasing off that much unwanted light. They're too small and way off to
the sides. But they do get in the way and catch on to things. I use them
though. I'd love someday to have a pre Asph just for the compactness as
i do lots of pretty long distance walking with a camera.

Mark Rabiner
Portland, Oregon USA
http://www.rabinergroup.com

Message from David Degner <leicanews@myrealbox.com> (Re: [Leica] Alternate to current 35mm ASPH?)