Subject: Re: [Leica] Rodinal and spots (was: xtol replacement)
From: Mark Rabiner <mark@rabinergroup.com>
Date: Fri, 04 Apr 2003 22:09:04 -0800

Mike Durling wrote:

> Ain't no guarantees for tomorrow, but today there's nothing like
> Efke-25.  Drop dead gorgeous!  Great tones, no grain.  (Well there is,
> but you can't see it!)

The exact problem is I'm afraid I'll like the stuff. Probably LOVE the
stuff. Get all squared away on shooting, running the film and printing
it it would have a look idenditived with me; my work. Then Poof! You
KNOW it's only a matter of time these companies come and go I've watched
it of decades.
You know how exotic I get? Ilford! I've used the stuff for decades but
constantly expect it to go under. For me there's no other paper. Pan F
(asa 50) will still blow Tmax 100 out of the water.

Same with software. If I've not heard of the company no way. Bought too
much software from nice up and coming companies who don't even get
bought out by someone else as they flutter to the ground. The just go
belly up and pop.

So I guess I'm saying I'm at the point where i feel much more
comfortable with well known brands.
If Delmonte cost four cents more than Fred Meyer Grocery store brand
then I'll pay the four cents.
I'm also into packaging. If Fred Meyer beans had a can that looked as
good as the can of Delmonte beans I'd think about it.

You know what I always say?! :)
You can ALWAYS pick a book by it's cover.
I'm in the "appearances" business.

Mark Rabiner
Portland, Oregon USA
http://www.rabinergroup.com