Subject: [Leica] digital sea change in the LUG?
From: Frank Dernie <Frank.Dernie@btinternet.com>
Date: Wed, 23 Apr 2003 07:11:12 +0100

There are several things one can do with a digital cameras that feel to
me like "problems" with film now that digital exists. Foremost is the
ability to adjust "ISO" for each shot - I can not exaggerate what a
benefit that feels to me now. I use Kodachrome 64 and from time to time
it was too slow so I got a fuzzy shot or nothing. Now I can get a few
high ISO shots peppered through a batch of higher quality stuff -
fantastic.  It is also handy to be able to check exposure - a bit like
using a polaroid back on MF.
I have, in any case 40 years of negatives and slides to scan - scanning
takes a long time. Waiting for my Kodachrome to come back then scanning
it is a royal PITA.
Downside of digital is too many controls (although I would appreciate
adding an "ISO" dial to my M6 :) I also prefer a M6 to actually use. As
an aside I prefer the Leica loading system to an side hinged back,
digital is one better still!
Well my photography was 80% Leica M with 20% reflex, now it is 80%
digital and 20% the rest.
I have had a darkroom most of the last 40 years - continuously for the
last 20. It is very dusty in there now the last thing I did was a large
Ilfochrome a couple of years ago. The biggest problem for me where I
live now is getting chemicals - special order only and nowhere local.
cheers
Frank