Subject: Re: [Leica] Digital Aesthetic
From: "Red Dawn" <reddawn@singnet.com.sg>
Date: Fri, 25 Apr 2003 17:51:23 +0800

Hi

> Forget about digital, for a moment. The concept of "effective focal
length"
> is kinda bogus. The focal length of a 50mm lens is 50mm. Period (to be
> repetitive). Take a picture with a 50mm lens on a regular 35mm camera with
> a 24x36 image frame, and crop it down to the field of a digital sensor,
> what you have is a cropped image from a 50mm lens. Cropping does not
change
> the focal length, effective or otherwise. Now, do not move the camera
> (assume it is on a tripod). Remove the 50mm lens and put on the 80mm lens
> (or use a zoom lens :-)). You get an image with the same composition, 1.6x
> (or so) larger -- but with reduced depth of field, based on my memory and
> experience.

Huh?? if u do not move the camera but change the lens to a longer focal
length, yes of course you do get reduced DOF, but how on earth do u "get the
same composition"????

i repeat...my premise is to use a 50mm lens on a digital SLR to get the same
field of view as a 80mm lens on a film body. I understand that the focal
length of a 50mm is 50mm. That's why i use the term effective focal
length..... Perhaps Field of View is a better term than effective focal
length. :) My argument has been to keep field of view and perspective
constant for both film and digital shots, and i contend that the DOF would
be the same for both shots.

i'm not interested in comparing the same 50mm lens on both digital and film.

> I have in the last few minutes tried an approximation to this experiment
> using a Canon G3, and zooming instead of changing lenses. Guess what --
the
> results validate the theory. Without moving the camera, the depth of field
> at the longer focal length was dramatically less then that at the shorter
> length, after adjusting the images to the same apparent size. Gee -- why
am
> I surprised? I was a mathematician!
>
> Try it yourself using your own camera and lenses. You will be convinced.

but dun u think ur test is moot, since u did not move the camera? i mean,
u're changing only one variable, focal length, of course the DOF changes! i
don't really understand the objective of a test where the camera is not
moved and u just zoom in and out to prove that DOF changes with focal length
:)

U mentioned "adjusting the images to the same apparent size" - i presume
u're using Photoshop techniques. This is NOT the same as the premise i'm
working on.

boon hwee

Replies: Reply from Clive Moss <chmphoto@sbcglobal.net> (Re: [Leica] Digital Aesthetic)
Message from Ted Grant <tedgrant@shaw.ca> (Re: [Leica] OT - National Geographic film usage)