Subject: Re: [Leica] Darkroom
From: John Collier <jbcollier@shaw.ca>
Date: Thu, 01 May 2003 17:07:16 -0600

Good points BD but I grew up on slide shows and my family likes them
too. Heck when I go home for Xmas, the other relatives insist on a
slide show of the year's goings on. Mind you some of the in-laws doze
rather contentedly during the proceedings but excess of turkey is
another significant factor. There is just something about a big
projected image that is tough to match. Personally I can only take so
many 8x10s around the house and find 20x30s obscene excess. Tastes
differ I guess.

I switched to the Leica M because I love the viewfinder! It is like
wandering around with some cropping "L"s. I gave up on my SLRs because
I wanted to see everything. There is nothing wrong with SLRs, I just
prefer the M viewfinder. So my digital camera has to have the same
viewfinder. I hope someday it might happen but I am not going to be
holding my breath.

John Collier

On Thursday, May 1, 2003, at 02:29 PM, bdcolen wrote:

> You wrote...."First and primary is the quality of the viewfinder in
> digital cameras.
> I do not want an LCD screen, I want a crystal clear viewfinder like the
> one in my M cameras. The M finder is the closest thing to not having
> anything in my way when photographing. I already see the photo and
> squinty finders or LCDs where I cannot see everything (and I am not
> even looking at the subject) just get in the way."
>
> The only digital cameras with the kind of viewfinders you describe are
> digital point and shoots - be they high-end, like the Digilux and Canon
> G3, or low end, like any number of cameras. Their viewfinders do
> basically suck. So if you insist on looking through a window, rather
> than through the lens, you're stuck. But what you're saying hardly
> applies to the pro Nikon and Canon digitals, which are SLRs, and to a
> couple of prosumer digitals.

snip