Subject: RE: [Leica] Re: optics for digital
From: "Austin Franklin" <darkroom@ix.netcom.com>
Date: Wed, 7 May 2003 22:17:11 -0400

Hi Jim,

> ><http://www.schneideroptics.com/info/white_papers/optics_for_digi
> tal_photography.pdf>
>
> I've been pointing folks to that white paper for a couple of
> years now. And
> I still get poo poo'ed.

Ditto.

> They are
> computed to
> produce a lower MTF frequency than film lenses. This way a low
> pass cut-off
> filter is not needed over the digital sensor. This increases sharpness in
> many ways.

Just to clarify that, this increases sharpness when used with a digital
sensor, not when used with film.

> All high-end digital SLR's that use film camera lenses have a low pass
> cut-off filter over the sensor to dumb down the lens to match the sensor
> pixel frequency.

My understanding is, the latest Kodak 14n DigiSLR claims to use no low pass
filter.  I don't know if it's available as an option, as you say they are
for the digital backs.

Regards,

Austin