Subject: Re: [Leica] Slightly OT: C-41 b&w films
From: Rolfe Tessem <rolfe@ldp.com>
Date: Thu, 29 May 2003 14:57:52 -0400

Oliver Bryk wrote:
> In my current location, the turn-around time for professional b&w processing
> is at least a week and involves two 60-mile round trips. I would appreciate
> hearing from LUGers who currently print their b&w images primarily with
> inkjet printers and papers, regarding their experience with chromogenic b&w
> films (C-41 process). Are there nontrivial differences between XP2, TCN and
> Portra? How do the results of scanning these films differ from scanning
> current generation silver based film? Do they look different? Do they have a
> shorter scale?
> TIA, Oliver Bryk

Oliver,

The main difference is beween those designed to be printed traditionally
on B&W paper and those designed to fit into a mini-lab workflow and
print on color paper. XP2 is one of the former. If you print B&W
yourself, this is the one you want. Portra is designed to be printed
with the same printer channel as the Portra color films. My guess is
that it was designed with wedding photographers in mind so the whole job
could be printed easily at one time by the lab. T400CN was introduced
before Portra and differs from it mainly in the color of the base. You
can print it yourself on B&W paper (although the printing times will be
long) and a mini-lab can do it on color paper, although they will have
to fiddle with their settings to get a neutral cast. It is not as easy
for them in that respect as Portra. (These comments apply to the older
mini-lab equipment. A Fuji Frontier and a good operator can basically
handle anything).

They all scan well with digital ICE enabled. In that respect, they are
easier to scan than traditional B&W films.

My favorite is XP2. As you can tell from some of the other comments, YMMV.

Rolfe

- --
Rolfe Tessem      |     Lucky Duck Productions, Inc.
rolfe@ldp.com     |     96 Morton Street
(212) 463-0029    |     New York, Ny 10014